Scripture

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." Alma 29:9

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Kia Ora Whanau,

This week we had a big conference with almost the whole Hamilton mission in Hamilton. We listened to Elder Natress and Elder Nelson of the seventy.
  I loved this conference, it was very helpful in so many ways. We talked about two amazing talks that you can find on the Gospel Library app. (I highly recommend "The Atonement amd the journey through mortality" by David A Bednar in the April 2012 Ensign.) It talks about not only is Christ's Atonement used for repenting of sins, but also for gaining strength called an "enabling power". Instead of praying to have your circumstances change instead, pray for strength to Overcome your circumstances. For example, if it's stormy outside and you pray for the weather to change, will it? No. So instead pray for a way to live through the storm.
  My companion,  Sister Toi is very much a young adult at times, but her strength is door knocking. When she is knocking on doors, there's a sudden change in her. She is fearless. I love how on the doorsteps, she is confident and bold, but when we walk away she mentions how sweaty she is because of how nervous and scared she was. I laugh because you can literally see sweat drops all over her face and neck. But regardless of how drenched and nervous she is, she'll take a deep breath and move on to the next house. I admire that side of her, she really puts herself aside when we are out finding.
  My first impression of being her companion was "Why does it feel like I'M the one training here." Because of how much she loves to talk and her childish excitement about everything. It took me awhile to actually realize why I was with her: All of her strengths are my weaknesses. I am horrible at starting conversations, to her, it's an instinct! I am shy and I let fear overtake me when it comes to doorknocking, she is bold without knowing. I have always been realistic and slightly pessimistic, she is the most optimistic and positive person I've ever seen. It's sad to say that I just now have started to learn from her bright personality , instead of always viewing her as "childish". I guess this is what you call 'embracing' your companion, instead of 'tolerating' your companion.
Anyways, I was very happy to speak yo most of you at Tyrells homecoming! I love you!

Arohanui,
Sister Wihongi