Kia Ora Whanau
This week was full of miracles!!!!
First miracle was Kevin. He is a nonmember who stays with a member family. He has taken the discussions with past missionaries but wasn't very into them. We have been trying to get an appointment with him for weeks. Every time we set one, it would fall through. Until one night he messaged us randomly saying that he wants to take the discussions again, every night, starting the next day. So, the next day we came over for our first lesson, I walked into the living room and he was sitting on the couch with a big smile on his face. He then told us that He wants to get baptized in September! (It was going to the 20th but he just told us he wants it sooner on the 14th!) That was so unexpected and the best surprise ever! We then had the lesson on the Restoration because he wanted to start from the beginning again. It was the most spiritual lesson. When we told him about Joseph Smith and how he had the question of why there are so many churches and which one is true, Kevin related to him very well. He was amazed and told us, "Wow. I used to make fun of the 'mormon' missionaries because they believed in Joseph Smith. Now I'M the one who believes and relates to him!" The family he lives with (The Bennette family) sat in the lesson as well and shared their experiences which brought the spirit in more strongly. Kevin has gone to so many churches prior to this one & his grandparents are strong Pentecostal. We taught him the importance of having the priesthood and the fullness of the gospel in the Book of Mormon. Best. lesson. ever.
The next day we came over and we asked him what he thought about the night before and the Restoration. He told us that it was amazing and that he could hardly breathe the whole time we were teaching! We then taught the Plan of Salvation and He asked such amazing questions, that I wouldn't have even thought of! It was another great one and the family learned things they never knew before too! He then told us that the Book of Mormon is like an "upper cut" to the face. Haha! Everything that he reads answers his questions or gives him more knowledge of our Savior.
The second Miracle was Phoenix's baptism! Phoenix is a 10 yr old boy that I've only taught a few lessons too. His baptism would always post-pone and we could just see Satan working so hard on him and his family. Their care broke down this week and they were stressed to the max! We kept visiting them every day, sorted out rides from the members, prayed with them everytime, let's just say lots and lots of tears were shed throughout the week. I had exchanges this week and took a different Sister to go see them. She shared a scripture in Ether 2. The story of the Brother of Jared and how he asked Heavenly Father how they are going to steer the barges when they had no way to steer them, and the Lord said that He will prepare a way before them through the crashing waves. Phoenix's really parents needed to hear that.
It was a lovely yet unique baptism. It was so cute, Phoenix came out of the water with a huge smile and the word, "Wow!" He also bore his testimony, simple and powerful.
I am so thankful for Heavenly Father's hand in Kevin's and Phoenix's life. I'm so grateful for His love for them. I know He loves each of you so much, and He is there for us when the waves of life come crashing down on us. He has prepared a way for us to escape the depths of the sea, that we may one day return into His loving arms. Each morning as I wake up, my heart is full that I am an instrument in the hands of God to bring souls to repentance; and this is my joy. All Glory to God!
Best week in Nawton!!! It was my companion's first time seeing snow!
Arohanui,
Sister Wihongi






