Scripture

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." Alma 29:9

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Kia Ora Whanau,

It was the funnest week in Pukete so far!

One day, we felt the need to go see a referral less active member. We went to their house but no one was home. We heard kids nearby playing rugby on a small tiny field. I looked at Sister Raymond after we knocked 3 times with no answer and said, "Welp. It looks like we are supposed to be playing rugby today." Sister Raymond was like "Haha!...... wait.. Are you serious?!" Yep.
We went over and introduced ourselves. We played with them and the whole time they were asking us questions like,
"Where are you from?"
"What do you do all day?"
"How long are you in New Zealand for?"
"Wait, so what do you do?"
It was amazing! They were so open and interested in what we do and who we are. We then had a few races  with them (yes. In our dresses). Let's just say I've been having too much KFC my whole mission and I was wasted by a couple 12 yr olds. Afterwards when the kids were tired, we handed them a pass along cards with our numbers and they even told us their addresses to see them again! After telling them that we help others come closer to Jesus Christ and God, one of the kids said "Oh, I needed that a few weeks ago." We asked why and he said "because I got myself into trouble. I keep making the wrong choices." We spoke about learning from mistakes, prayer, Heavenly Father, etc. And so we told them we will come back on Thursday and share with them a message. Their mother even came and the kids shouted at her saying "Mum! Look, these are the Sister missionaries!" (oh, they were all the ages 9 to 13) this was my highlight of the week, I cant wait to see them again. I can see so much potential in them, and how the gospel can keep them safe for the future. They already are getting into gangs and stuff like that which breaks my heart.

Also, KEVIN WAS BAPTIZED! He was someone I was teaching in my last area (Nawton) with Sister Meto. It was a very happy and spiritual baptism, the spirit was so strong and we had the musical number. Kevin has come a long way. I've seen how much he has changed so quickly and how much our Savior Jesus Christ was there for him. Kevin was also so diligent in reading the Book of Mormon, that's how he received so many answers to his questions and prayers. He gained a testimony of Joseph Smith while reading the Book of Mormon as well. This book is true, and it changes lives. It changes mine everyday. I've grown up reading it but I never really understood it. I would read it with my family but it was just words to me, it went completely over my head. (Sorry Mum and Dad haha) And I would read it for seminary just so I can graduate, and not take anything in.. But ever since I read it on my own (right before my mission), that's when I understood everything!  I realized how extremely important it is to each individual, to me! "Woah!! No wonder why this book is so important." "Woah!! That's so relatable!"  "Dang, Amulek is savage!!" "What the heck?! I've never heard of this story before..." etc. Anyways, I can go on but please read it and you can even watch the Book of Mormon videos a long with it! :)

Back to Kevin, he got baptized on the 20th, got married to his sweetheart on the 21st at the temple view marae near the temple, and was confirmed the gift of the Holy Ghost on Sunday! All glory to God! Literally I did nothing to help Kevin through his conversion, it was All done through the spirit. All glory to God,

Also we did service for a few hours tearing up carpet in the chapel. It was fun. We also sang at a retirement home and worker came up to us, she turned out to be a less active that wants to come back to church! A returning member! <3

My companion makes fresh and homemade cinnamon rolls. She's the best. She is the sweetest. I love my daughter so much , in reality, she is the one training me haha.

There were so many miracles and tender mercies this week, too many that I cannot write them all. Jesus Christ lives!!! God Bless!

Arohanui,
Sister Wihongi










Naomi Strother, a good friend of the family from way back.